Saturday, April 21, 2012

Wishful Thinking.... A Short Story!

Although I could barely hear the mfufled ticking nof the clock, I knew timew as counting down into the dismal darkness. I wrapped myself tighter into my cacoon of warmth, longing for it to be different. I sighed into the awaiting silence, only wanting his arms constricted around my frail form. I opened my eyes and peered otu over the cover of my sheets.The moon sneakily glanced through my blinds and half-covered stars winked.
There were many nights I had run into its teasing fun and let myself fall into his embracce. We'd walk hand in hand amidst the frozen world, stilled in it sorbit. Not one soul peeped. There was no noise to break apart our hooked souls. We made the music as our hearts beat together.
Now the sky tormented me with our secret woven into their knoweldge. The stars, the moon, they knew as I did what had happened. My heart tremors, making me roll over away from the view. I again close my eyes counting the jumbled ticks with my breaths.
  One...
  Two...
  Three...
There was nothing. Only flittering memories filtered through the quiet hour. His hand had been so soft, like a safety blanket, while they enclosed mine. He had stroked my fingers, letting me know he was paying attention to me and nothing else. His fingertips had skid across each knuckle with deliberation, slowly with passion. It was his touch that had first sent the shiver crawling down my spine one vertabrae at a time, ending in a collision of bubbly tickling goosebumps enclosing my skin.
The first moment he looked at me sputtered through the atmosphere. The golden rim of his eyes caught in the sunlight, singing out his inner self to my knowing. The sky blue trapping his iris, enugulfed my body in  melodious waves crashing in to my heart. It was then I had realized that I had to know him.
The second his forehead touched mine, my mind went blank. My heart pummeled against my chest so hard I could barely breathe. My stomach knotted firm. I could barely contain my emotions bursting like a flame ignited. Our lips had parted to meet.
He had tasted of cherries, a fresh squirt of paradise, seeping into my being. It was a key unlocking me into a world of undeniable love.
I can barely breathe now as the remembrance crams unwantingly.
I've held it in for so long-silent. My heart held by a thin strand onto itself. I urled up closer, huddling in a ball. My legs held close, pushed up against my chest.
I bite onto my lower lip as I try to stay strong. In return, all I get is one tear rolling down my cheek and ending on my pillow. Not even the dark evening has seen it. The atmosphere thickens. It is too bleak; no one could've seen.
I cut myself away from the thick mass of memories and roll over again. I stand from my bed, my safety net, and tiptoe across the cold floor. Iw alk to my blinds and look out across the street.
Nothing.
No one stirs. The trees stand tall, strong, unmovable and I know that I can mimic their very stance.  My eyes catch hold of a slight flicker. Looking up I see the grace of a fallen star, streaking across the sky, illuminating with color and beauty. I hug my hands to my heart and wish.
I whisper into the darkness my one hope and blow it into its awaiting ear. It no longer lingers within me, but bounces around the corners of my room adn out into the open night sky.
For a second I believe in magic. I put my faith into the superstitiong and traditions of old. Maybe, he will hear it one night. Maybe, the wind will carry it to him and pllace it against his heart... and just maybe my wish will come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment